Friday, August 19, 2011

The pride through the phone...

Yes...I'll admit it...I eavesdrop on my kids' phone calls.  I'm sure I won't be able to get away with it forever, but for now...it's no problem :).  Today is the day the kids from the girls' old school got their teacher assignments.  The 9 yr old girl phone calls began.  It seemed that everyone wanted to know who each other had for their 4th grade teacher.  The gossiping began...about the new teacher...about the old teacher moving grades...about who isn't going to have their best friend in their class.  Aly wandered throughout the house, but settled in her room during the phone calls, so I decided that it was time to straighten up her little sister's bedroom (next door to Aly's) so I could listen to how the phone calls were handled.  I have to say....the 1 sided conversation I heard made my heart smile :).

Some friends already knew about our new homeschool adventure, for others this was new information.  Through all of this, I heard nothing but excitement and joy in my 9 yr old's voice.  She was obviously being hit with a bunch of  "who, what, when, where and why" questions and she was handling them like a pro.  She took the news of several of her friends having the teacher she would have had (her teacher idol), amazingly well.  She was genuinely happy for her friends, yet not disappointed for herself!  I was concerned that this day might cause reality to hit and true colors of sorrow to show through.  It was the EXACT opposite!  She bragged about all of the cool classes she's going to get to take through her charter school, about how her schooling doesn't last as long as theirs and about how many more field trips she's going to get to go on.  I'll admit, it was on the verge of gloating, but she still kept her friends' feelings in mind.  She even comforted their disappointment of not being able to play with her at recess, by setting up playdates for after they get out of school.

I knew she APPEARED to be enjoying homeschooling so far.  I knew she had TOLD me she's happy with this decision.  I knew that she SEEMED excited about the future of our adventure.  Today just showed me that it wasn't all an act.  She really is happy, and in fact even proud, of this new step in our lives.  Made for one happy Mama :)

No comments:

Post a Comment